NCD Shutdown Plan in Absence of Appropriations
Agency Shutdown Plan
December 9, 2016
- PURPOSE: To provide the National Council on Disability’s (“NCD”) policy guidance and instructions for actions to be taken when Congress fails to enact either regular appropriations, a continuing resolution, or needed supplemental, resulting in an interruption of fund availability. In the absence of appropriations:
- NCD officers may not incur any obligations that cannot lawfully be funded from prior appropriations unless such obligations are otherwise authorized by law.
- NCD officers may incur obligations as necessary for orderly termination of an agency’s functions, but funds may not be disbursed.
- SCOPE: This plan applies to all NCD personnel including the fifteen Special Government Employees (private citizen Presidential and Congressional appointees.)
- POLICY: In order to execute an orderly shutdown, the following information is provided:
- Estimated time to complete shutdown: One half-day;
- Number of on-board employees prior to execution: 11;
- Number of employees retained under plan: 0;
- Executive Director will notify OMB that shutdown procedures have initiated;
- Director of Administration will notify building management of shutdown status;
- Director of Administration will notify all agency personnel of shutdown status and will initiate action to issue furlough notices and other instructions as appropriate;
- Director of Administration will direct Contracting Officer’s Representatives to notify agency contractors of shutdown status and other instructions as appropriate;
- Director of Administration will direct Network Consultant to ensure servers and other IT equipment are secured; and
- Agency personnel will be instructed to obtain information from news outlets for when a continuing resolution or an FY 2017 appropriation has been approved and that they will be expected to return to work on their next regularly scheduled work day.
- OMB Circular No. A-ll (2015), Section 124.2, pages 1-2
- OMB Memo M-13-22, Planning for Agency Operations during a Potential Lapse in Appropriations (and attachments), September 17, 2013.
- REVIEW: This Agency Shutdown Plan has been prepared and reviewed by the undersigned. It complies with guidance provided in the reference documents.